Download Communication Uncovered: General Semantics and Media Ecology by Corey Anton PDF
By Corey Anton
During this hugely readable and well-arranged compilation-including his much-celebrated "The perform of examining strong Books" and award-winning "Playing with Bateson"-Corey Anton brings jointly a few of his such a lot available and well-received essays. the gathering, as well as advancing and integrating the fields of media ecology and normal semantics, may be of serious curiosity to those that are involved over the altering position of studying and literacy in modern lifestyles. A stimulating and provocative ebook having extensive relevance to students and scholars within the components of semiotics, rhetorical idea, orality/literacy reviews, philosophy of verbal exchange, pedagogical concept, and communique concept, conversation exposed deals numerous insights and broad-based orientations concerning the nature of language, linguistic and communicative conduct, conversation applied sciences, and symbolic practices extra regularly. it is a "must have" source for a person drawn to multidisciplinary communique thought.
Read Online or Download Communication Uncovered: General Semantics and Media Ecology PDF
Best phenomenology books
Das Zeitdenken bei Husserl, Heidegger und Ricoeur
Die vorliegende Studie untersucht das Zeitdenken von Husserl, Heidegger und Ricoeur in philosophiehistorischer, systematischer und methodologischer Hinsicht. Damit liefert sie zugleich eine Übersicht über die Zeitproblematik in der Phänomenologie als deren wichtigste Autoren Husserl, Heidegger und zuletzt auch Ricoeur gelten können.
Phenomenology and Existentialism in the Twentieth Century: Book One New Waves of Philosophical Inspirations
Phenomenology and existentialism reworked figuring out and event of the 20th Century to their center. they'd strikingly diversified inspirations and but the 2 waves of inspiration turned merged as either activities flourished. the current selection of examine dedicated to those events and their unfolding interplay is now particularly revealing.
Philosophy suffers from an far more than convoluted introspection. One result's that options multiply unchecked. That a few occasions have observable motives will get reified right into a First reason or, in a extra secular age, to the thesis that each occasion is fatalistically decided. one other situation of convoluted introspection is that tiny yet an important assumptions slip in, frequently unawares, with the outcome that densely argued counter-tomes are written in answer and no growth is made towards any type of consensus.
This fresh translation of Martin Heidgger's Mindfulness (Besinnung) makes to be had in English for the 1st time Heidegger's moment significant being-historical treatise. right here Heidegger returns to and elaborates intimately a number of the person dimensions of the traditionally self-showing and reworking allotments of be-ing.
- Psychological and Transcendental Phenomenology and the Confrontation with Heidegger (1927–1931): The Encyclopaedia Britannica Article, The Amsterdam Lectures, “Phenomenology and Anthropology” and Husserl’s Marginal Notes in Being and Time and Kant and the
- Heidegger et le problème de la mort: existentialité, authenticité, temporalité
- Spinoza Contra Phenomenology: French Rationalism from Cavaillès to Deleuze (Cultural Memory in the Present)
- Taleworlds and Storyrealms: The Phenomenology of Narrative
- From Sky and Earth to Metaphysics (Analecta Husserliana, Volume 115)
Additional resources for Communication Uncovered: General Semantics and Media Ecology
Peterson Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data Anton, Corey. Communication uncovered : general semantics and media ecology / Corey Anton. p. cm. Includes bibliographical references and indexes. ISBN 978-0-9827559-4-5 (cloth hardcover : alk. paper) -- ISBN 978-0-9827559-5-2 (pbk. paper) 1. General semantics. 2. Communication--Social aspects. 3. Mass media--Socials aspects. 4. Mass media and language. I. Title. 94--dc22 2011009710 To the person who has made so many contributions to this collection and to my life, I dedicate this work to Valerie V.
111) In this context the word “study” is used as a verb and it expresses a particular action or mode of being. ” Here, then, people undertook the task of study in order to become someone, in order to take on a complexion or be transformed. But a word’s meaning never sits still, for the word “study” soon enough came to mean the room within a building named for the act of studying. “The study,” a noun, now designated the physical space where persons could pore over texts or get lost in spells of concentration; people sat and studied in the study.
Obviously then, the goal is not simply to produce sounds accurately but to carefully interpret what those sounds mean. In practice this means we need others to discuss readings with us. Our talk with others about readings is an essential part of reading. But this is stated too simply. In his A History of Reading, Alberto Manguel tells of his reading aloud to Borges and how Borges analyzed, extrapolated, and elaborated as he followed along. Manguel’s point is that sometimes, perhaps often, we need experienced readers as guides.